Tuesday 24 March 2009

FF and FT League Round 4




Round 4 of the League required three Quill Dries. Dressing as follows:
Hook: Partridge Surehold Dry Barbless
Thread: Black 8/0
Wing: Mallard Feather Slips
Tail: Cock Hackle Fibres
Body: Stripped Peacock Quill
Hackle: Whiting Brown Saddle Hackle
This fly proved more troublesome that at first glance. I tried several methods of stripping the peacock quill satisfactorily including hair remover which seem to weaken the quill itself and make it impossible to tie. I eventually opted to soak the quills in water for 24 hours and strip using a very good quality rubber. The slip wings were not easy, are they ever, and after a couple of weeks of tearing my hair out, I tied them in as I usually do with the wings lying along the hook and after one loop of thread moving the waste end in a seesaw motion to create a valley in the slip.
I am third after Round 3 so have high hope of a good finish.
Back to tying some flies for the new season.



No comments: